Many restaurants have revised their hours and menus due to COVID-19. Some may close, either temporarily or permanently, without notice. Be sure to check this restaurant’s website for updated information before your visit.
We recently dined at Jose Garces’ new restaurant Volver to celebrate our (gulp) seventh anniversary.
As a disclosure, Daryl worked for Garces Group, the company that owned Volver Restaurant, at the time of our meal. While it was an easy decision for us to choose Volver for our anniversary dinner, it would be difficult to express a totally unbiased opinion of the meal experience.
So, as a service to our readers, we have decided to allow our pictures to speak for themselves.
The 14-course Performance Tasting Dinner (with an optional beverage pairing) at Volver was a ticketed affair – something unique to Philadelphia dining – at the time of our meal.
Volver is located in a dramatic, large windowed room on the first floor of the Kimmel Center in the heart of Center City Philadelphia. The open kitchen gives all diners, including us, a front row view of the kitchen action.
Check out our meal in photographs:
Volver Course 1
Volver Course 2
Volver Course 3
Volver Course 4
Volver Course 5
Volver Course 6
Volver Course 7
Volver Course 8
Volver Course 9
Volver Course 10
Volver Course 11
Volver Course 12
Volver Course 13
Volver Course 14
Volver Bonus Course
For those who may be interested, here’s a list of the beverage pairing served with our dinner. More than just wine, we received glasses of the following:
- Paul Clouet Selection Brut – Bouzy, Campagne, France
- Takasago Ginga Shizubu Junmai Daiginjo Sake – Hokkaido, Japan
- Can Feixes Seleccio Parellada/Macabeo/Chardonnay/Malvasia – Penedés, Spain
- Hidalgo La Gitana Amontillado Sherry – Andalucia, Spain
- Domaine Du Petit Métris Les Fougeraies Chenin Blanc – Savenniéres, France
- Ichtegem’s Grand Cru Flemish Red Ale – Belgium
- Robert Eymael Mönchhof Riesling – Mosel, Germany
- Chad Pinot Noir – Carneros, California
- San Fereolo Valdibà Dolcetto – Dogliani, Piedmont, Italy
- La Spinetta Bricco Quaglia – Moscato D’Asti, Italy
- Madeira – The Rare Wine Company – New York Malmsey Special Reserve – Madeira, Portugal
Volver is located at 300 South Broad Street, Kimmel Center, Philadelphia, PA 19102, United States.
About the Authors
Daryl & Mindi Hirsch
Saveur Magazine’s BEST TRAVEL BLOG award winners Daryl and Mindi Hirsch share their culinary travel experiences and recipes on the 2foodtrippers website and YouTube. The married Food and Travel content creators live in Lisbon, Portugal.