We are feeling sentimental as we approach the five-year anniversary of our first trip to China. So what better way to reminisce about our China memories than with spicy Sichuan food!
There are so many interesting facts about China, which makes traveling in the country both rewarding and challenging. We have so many memories of the month traveling on our own in China, but these stand out the most:
Top 10 China Memories
- Arriving in Beijing with the flu during the height of the H1N1 Virus scare.
- Eating Peking duck, noodles and lots of street food in Beijing.
- Being completely underwhelmed by the terracotta warriors in Xi’an.
- Being completely overwhelmed by the Giant Buddha of Leshan.
- Strolling around the West Lake in Hangzhou.
- Enjoying a modern, comfortable high-speed train from Beijing to Shanghai.
- Enduring an old-school train from Xi’an to Chengdu.
- Breathing the massive dust cloud produced by the Shanghai World Expo construction and eating xiao long bao (soup dumplings) to wash down the dust.
- Sipping high tea at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.
- Eating hot pot in Chengdu.
Although hot pot is not trendy in Philadelphia, we can get pretty close to the Chengdu dining experience at Han Dynasty – a restaurant that understands the unique Sichuan combination of scorching chiles and numbing flower peppers. We count their dan dan noodles, wontons in chili oil, spicy crispy cucumber and mapo tofu among our favorite Philly dishes.
We look forward to making new Chinese memories in the future. For now, eating good Chinese food will have to do.
Han Dynasty has multiple locations in the Philadelphia area. We ate this meal at the Old City location.
About The Authors
Daryl & Mindi Hirsch
Saveur Magazine’s BEST TRAVEL BLOG award winners Daryl and Mindi Hirsch share their culinary travel experiences and recipes on the 2foodtrippers website. Since launching the site in 2012, they’ve traveled to over 40 countries in their quest to bring readers their unique taste of the world.
Original Publication Date: August 26, 2014